Laurelhurst Community Club
Minutes for January 13, 2003
CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order at 7:05 PM.
ATTENDING: Jim Romano, Bonnie Zinn, Kate Lloyd, Barb Ragee, John Burge, Jeannie Hale, Susan Torrance, Stan Sorscher, Jennifer Biely, Mark Holden, Shahina Piyarali, Jean Colley, Pat Wright, Don Torrie, Karl Weyrauch, John Clark.
Excused: Heather Newman, Maggie Weissman, Mark Trumbauer, Shawn Whitcomb, Mimi Levin
GUESTS: Coco Sherman, Bob Rench, Mark Nagel, Reeve Geary, Peter Eglick
Neighbor Appreciation Day: Coco Sherman, LCC Special Events Coordinator, briefed the board on planning for the annual Neighbor Appreciation Day reception. Coco went through some background of the event, how we nominate neighbors, the meeting format and asked for volunteers. Circulars for the meeting were distributed.
Bob Rench spoke on behalf of the Sand Point Housing Association, about its three years of operation. Their goal is to help residents become independent and move out. They have 94 units in several buildings. Units are used by families, singles, and youths.Rench expressed apprciation for community interest and support. They plan an additional 106 units, with a budget of about $20 million. Their funding and budget cuts are similar to other housing programs in the city. They are looking at grants and other funding sources.
Zinn: How old are the units? Typically, they were built in the ‘40s – very solid construction.
Romano: When will the new units be built? Scheduled now for 2004-05 or as funds are available.
Changes to the Agenda:
Erg for It fundraiser from the Youth Suicide Prevention Program
Proposal to authorize Bed and Breakfasts in single-family neighborhoods
Minutes: Motion (Ragee) Approve the minutes of the December 9, 2002 meeting. (seconded by Biely) Motion passed unanimously.
Treasurer’s Report: The Treasurer’s report will be postponed until February as Levin had to go out of town on business. LCC needs to decide when to send out the annual dues statements and any notation that should be included on the statement. The consensus of the Board was to send out the statements in March. Burge said the recent practice regarding timing of the statements has been to mail them sometime between March and May.
CALLS AND CONCERNS
Laurelhurst TMP: Doug Knorr emailed on December 11th for information on implementation of the Laurelhurst TMP. He was referred to Liz Ogden.
QFC Gas Station Project: Emily Bingham forwarded LCC comments she submitted on the QFC gas station project on December 11th. She objects to the project due to traffic congestion, existing parking problems and the fact that there are already nearby gas stations. Polly Newcomb also forwarded her comments with similar concerns. Newcomb also mentioned that the gas station would tax and already burdened ingress and egress system. Roger Leed from Montlake forward his comments on December 12th pointing out the city’s failure to require environmental review of incremental development that has taken place at University Village. He suggested an independent traffic study and environmental review with consideration of neighborhood impacts prior to approval of the project. Barbara Davis emailed to say she would be submitting comments on the project.
Accident at QFC: Lloyd reported an accident at the 45th Street entrance to QFC. Apparently, it was a two-car accident.
Beach Club: Jessica Curtis emailed on December 11th about the Beach Club’s failure to include all of the neighborhood within eligibility to join.
MUPs: Neighbor J. David May is an architect with familiarity with the Master Use Permit process and offered his assistance with local land use issues.
Graffiti: Lisa Pascualy and Nigel Cushing emailed to follow up on the recent neighborhood graffiti problems. Hale provided an update.
Talaris: Grover Ellis emailed to express concerns about the Institute for Advance Study option on the Battelle property. He fears that the development could end up covering the entire site. He supports development of the site for single-family housing. Susan Marten emailed for an update on the Talaris development. Reeve Geary emailed to tell us he would be commenting on the Talaris project. Jean Schifferman called on December 9th to inquire about lack of specificity for the housing alternatives in the DEIS. Dick Barnum called on the same day to express distrust for any institution on the Battelle property as the type of facility could change and a new institution may have different parking and other needs. Dorothy Schmitz called on December 16th to express interest in the no-action alternative in the DEIS.
Gardening: Catherine Kalke emailed on December 15th to inquire about a list of common plants and trees that are neighborhood favorites. She is developing a garden design and is new to the neighborhood.
Princeton Street Bridge: Jeff Douthwaite emailed on January 8th to express interest in a bronze panel or plaque for the Princeton Street Bridge. Hale emailed SDOT about this possibility and Maggie Weissman offered to set up a contribution box at her store.
Joggers: Priscella Thornberg called this morning to report noisy joggers on NE 41st again. Two groups of ROTC students, about 20 in each group arrived at the foot of the hill to congregate prior to running. The first group arrived at 6:50 a.m. and the second about ten minutes later. The University has instructed its various athletic programs to meet at locations outside the neighborhood, but LCC was unaware that the ROTC groups were a problem. LCC will follow up on this.
Absent: Trumbauer, Levin, Weissman and Newman could not attend tonight’s trustee meeting due to conflicts.
Thank You! Thanks Don Torrie for coordinating distribution of trustee packets and to Torrance for her assistance.
Cameras/Electronic Signage on Montlake: In response to LCC’s letter of January 7th proposing cameras and electronic signage on Montlake Boulevard, the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) has agreed to prepare a range of options for the SDOT director and the mayor to consider. This will be complete within the next two weeks. The plan is to address several of Seattle’s congested bridges in Seattle in addition to the Montlake Bridge. Brian Kemper from SDOT has had preliminary conversations with the UW about use of its fiber optic network. His impression is that UW listened to the proposal and is considering it. Susan Torrance has been in touch with Peter Dewey from the UW to address the issues.
Crime Prevention: Pat Wright reported a little graffiti and some car prowls in the area, according to David Ninn. Because of budget cuts, the North Precinct will be closed and locked from 10 PM to 6 AM. A phone may be installed so visitors could call 911. Diane Horswell will be assigned to the North Precinct. Neal Hanson may also be assigned there. Pat took a cake to the North Precinct as a year-end token of appreciation. Suspects were arrested on connection with robberies of Farrell’s Jewelry Store, ATMs and fraternity houses.
Erg for It Fundraiser: Weyrauch, who serves on the board of the Youth Suicide Prevention Program, briefed LCC on an upcoming fundraiser. February 2, the Youth group is having a fundraiser called "Erg for it," which involves people rowing on rowing ergometers at the Pocock rowing center, with supporters offering to make pledges for each kilometer rowed. Weyrauch asked if any LCC trustee members are rowers and might like to participate. He also asked if LCC would like to contribute to the project or make a pledge to a Laurelhurst rower who might want to participate. The mission of the Youth Suicide Prevention Program is to reduce the number of youth suicides in Washington. It receives funds through the State of Washington and the Gates Foundation.
Motion (Weyrauch): Contribute $100 to support the “Erg for It fundraising event. (seconded by Colley). Motion passed unanimously.
Talaris Update: Hale reported that Carol Eychaner has been actively supported the LCC in analyzing the Talaris EIS and writing comments. The original allocation of funds has been spent, and we need provide funds to complete the current activity.
Motion (Lloyd): Provide an additional $3000 for Carol Eychaner for the Board’s action on the Talaris EIS (seconded by Ragee): Motion passed unanimously.
Bed and Breakfast Proposal: Neighborhoods throughout the city are being asked to consider an amendment to the Land Use Code to allow Bed and Breakfasts in single-family residential neighborhoods as accessory conditional uses. B&Bs would be allowed outright with a business license. It is unclear whether there would be parking requirements and limitations on signage. B&B are currently allowed in multi-family zones, but there must be no external evidence of the business use other than a permitted sign. There can be no more than two employees not residing in the dwelling. One parking space must be provided for the dwelling and one space for each of two guest rooms.
The Board went into Executive Session from 8 PM to about 9:35 PM with LCC attorney Peter Eglick in attendance. The UW Master Plan was discussed at length. The Talaris development was also discussed.
After conclusion of the Executive Session: Motion: Appeal to the Central Puget Sound Growth Management Hearings Board on issues relating to the UW Master Plan and the process before the City Council. Motion passed 9 in favor, 2 opposed, 1 abstention.
Meeting was adjourned at 9:45 PM.
Notes by Stan Sorscher, LCC Secretary